Buford’s Massacre-American Colonel Abraham Buford was the commander of 300-350 men, comprised of a Virginia regiment of infantry and a company of artillery. Two hundred thrty-four years ago, on May 29, 1780, Brisitsh Lieutenant Colonel Banaster Tarleton pursued Colonel Buford from Nelson’s Ferry to Buford near the Waxhaws District. Colonel Buford attempted to surrender, but a bloody battle ensued, wtih the American casualties numbering 113. Even more were taken prisoner, and 150 of the 253 prisoners were wounded. Tarleton became known as “Bloody Ban,” and “Tarleton’s Quarter” became a rallying battle cry for Southern Patriots until the surrender of Lord Conwallis at Yorktown in 1781.
Also included in the Combine NC-SC Color Guard were: Gary O. Green, Charles A. Lewis, Tim Berly, and Guy Higgins